http://elanartist.wix.com/elanhiart

http://elanartist.wix.com/elanhiart
Elan Portal

Sunday, September 20, 2015

Business Project

If you could start a business, what would it be?
This project was one of several, designed as part of a curriculum about Me, Myself and my community. We began with the students and their families and ended with their definition of community. 
A part of understanding community is thinking about all of its parts. In this project the students and I discussed and listed the people, places and businesses that make up their communities. Students then created their own businesses. Here are some questions I asked them about their businesses: 
What does my community need? 
What kind of business will do well in my community? 
Is my business helpful and/or supportive to my community? 
I used a photo image of an existing building from the student's community in order to make and  reinforce the familiar. Growing up in Harlem, partially abandoned buildings with storefronts at the bottom. This gave the students the ability to re-imagine their own communities however they saw fit. 









No comments:

Post a Comment