http://elanartist.wix.com/elanhiart

http://elanartist.wix.com/elanhiart
Elan Portal

Monday, June 15, 2015

The New Whitney with my Kids

For the first time in a long time my daughter requested to go to an art museum and I was excited and a little apprehensive about how they were going to behave. It had been a while since we have ventured out to an art museum and I wasn't sure if I should create an agenda for our trip.
I had told her about my visit to the new Whitney upon its grand re-opening in its new downtown Manhattan space in the meat-packing district and she had been wanting to go ever since.
When we arrived downtown our first task was to eat and we found a lovely diner to sit down and enjoy a late lunch together. After we ate we continued our journey to the museum.
My son was excited to recognize the High Line that is conveniently next to the new Whitney. We had a nighttime adventure on the High Line about a year ago.

When we got to the new Whitney they were amazed to its size and beauty. As stated on their website,"Designed by architect Renzo Piano and situated between the High Line and the Hudson River, the Whitney's new building vastly increases the Museum’s exhibition and programming space, offering the most expansive display ever of its unsurpassed collection of modern and contemporary American art."

After we gained entry a gentleman near the registers asked my children and I if we would like to have the electronic guide. At first I wanted one as well but than thought it would be best to depend on them to give me information about the art and I was so glad that I did. I truly enjoyed hearing their interpretations of what they were hearing and it became a game to find pieces of art with the accompanying audio information.

We had a great time and a productive and informative visit.





 My daughter poses by one of her favorite artist's work, Andy Warhol

My son's favorite artwork at the New Whitney. Title and artist name below. 




Another Favorite for my son and daughter. 

The New Whitney has beautiful outdoor spaces. 



No comments:

Post a Comment